Protecting Your Family’s Health: Recognizing the Dangers of Carbon Monoxide
As the weather gets cooler, we all start to turn on our heaters. This winter take care to protect your family’s health as you start to use heating appliances. Natural gas fuels many furnaces, water heaters, stoves, and dryers. The best way to protect your family is to be able to recognize the symptoms of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning that can result from faulty appliances using natural gas. Your best line of defense is a CO detector. Make sure that your home has a carbon monoxide detector installed and that it is working properly.
The warning signs of CO poisoning are headaches, nausea, drowsiness, ringing in the ears, and flu-like symptoms. If you suspect CO poisoning, get everyone out of your home immediately, including pets. If untreated, CO poisoning can be fatal. Call for help and get medical attention right away. Do not return to your home for any reason until you’ve been told it is safe to return.
At Bella Madera Apartments in Lewisville, Texas, we believe it’s important to live life vigorously. In order to do so, you must educate yourself regularly with lifestyle-enhancing tips such as these. With this blog post, we seek to improve your way of life through education that promotes self-care.